top of page

Autumn Safety Hazards for Your Pup


a dog on a walk on a dock in the autumn

Chances are, you’re already enjoying all that fall has to offer. From pumpkin spice lattes and crunchy leaves on your neighborhood walks to (slightly) cooler and crisper temperatures, it’s such a special time of year. As you check off all of your favorite activities, you’ll most likely bring your dog along too.


In today’s blog post, let’s cover five common autumn safety hazards and ways to keep your pup safe.


1. Mothballs


Pay attention as you bring your sweaters out of storage! Did you know that mothballs contain chemicals that are toxic if ingested? Symptoms may include abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and tremors and should be addressed by a veterinarian as soon as possible.


2. Rodenticides


Poisons to rid your house of mice and rats used to be made with an anticoagulant that caused excessive bleeding and interfered with vitamin K1 in the body. If accidentally ingested by a curious animal and caught early enough, there was a medication to help manage the side effects. However, newer options use a different compound that impacts the neurologic system and does not have an antidote. Signs of ingestion include seizures, bleeding, and kidney failure. Contact your vet or ASPCA Animal Poison Control (1-888-426-4435) immediately if you suspect a problem.


3. Toxic foods


There are many foods that are unsafe for your pets to ingest. You’ve probably heard that chocolate, for instance, is a big no-no, as it contains caffeine and theobromine, two dangerous substances for dogs and cats. After ingestion, these two ingredients are quickly absorbed into the body and affect the heart, brain, and muscles. Symptoms depend on what kind of chocolate and how much your dog eats but may include vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, racing heart rate, and high body temperature.


So whether it’s the lingering Halloween candy or the onions you purchased to test out Thanksgiving recipes, it’s important to keep these foods out of reach from your four-legged friends. Fortunately, you can find fall-flavored dog treats (think pumpkin, sweet potatoes, and chicken apple pie!) that allow your pup to safely enjoy the tastes of the season.


4. Mushrooms


You may notice more wild mushrooms springing up on the wooded trails frequented by you and your four-legged friend. They are more common during the fall and can lead to significant issues if ingested by your dog. It can be difficult to identify the toxic ones, so vets recommend treating all wild mushrooms as potentially toxic and a veterinary emergency if ingested.


5. Antifreeze


Florida residents don’t usually need antifreeze, but if you recently moved here or are planning a winter road trip, you may have some in your garage. Antifreeze has a sweet taste that often attracts the attention of curious pups, but unfortunately, it is extremely toxic to them. Even ingesting a small amount can lead to kidney failure and death. Seek help immediately.



Let The Urban Dog Group help you with your real estate needs. Contact Christine Elias at caerealestate@gmail.com.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page